Monday, April 15, 2013

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2013


In Der Bibliothek, John Arthur Lomax, before 1923

Daily Thoughts 04/15/2013

I read some more of Small Acts of Resistance last night.  There are some examples of national sex strikes by women to encourage the end of violence in the Sudan in 2002 and Kenya in 2009.  The tactics in Lysistrata by Aristophanes have been used in real life.

This morning, I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.  I also spent some time talking to the Collection Development department of Baker and Taylor about them sending alerts about different subjects like test books, fiction, and bestsellers.  I also checked the displays.

This afternoon, I spent time weeding in the 900s.  I have quite a bit more to do.

I am reading through the weekly purchase alerts to see what items people are interested in.

I finished reading Small Acts of Resistance tonight.  This is a book about how seemingly small acts of protest add up over time.  There are sections on nonviolence, music, and technology.


Web Bits

London Book Fair 2013 In Keynote Gaiman says "Try Everything."
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/international/london-book-fair/article/56816-london-book-fair-2013-in-keynote-gaiman-says-try-everything.html

A Plan to Power 100 Percent of the Planet With Renewables
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=a-path-to-sustainable-energy-by-2030&WT.mc_id=SA_syn_Yahoo

No comments: