Monday, February 11, 2008

Books On Blogging, Feedback


A little criticism or feedback would be appreciated.

Last night, I started Solstice Wood by Patricia McKillip another Mythopoeic award winner. This one is a little more contemporary, it was written in 2006.


Alright, I am waking up. I am a bit frazzled. I took a few moments to place a few books on blogging on hold, Blogging for Dummies, What No One Ever Told You About Blogging and Podcasting, and Clear Blogging. The Blogging for Dummies will probably give me a few new tips on how to blog. The dummies series is pretty reliable for basic information. I am not sure yet about the other two. There are not a whole lot of books on blogging in the library yet. Eventually, the library will catch up with the phenomenon and start buying more material.


I am also looking at ways to improve my writing and grammar. I have not taken a look at writing books for a while. Can someone suggest a good book with tips on how best to write online.


Once again, It is feedback time. Can anyone tell me how I am doing. I would like to hear complaints, compliments, and thoughts on my blog. Don't hold back and don't compliment too much. This isn't a pat on the back session. If you are my enemy come forth and take out your pen. I need a good foil.


Anyways, this morning I was looking at Technorati and I came across something rather interesting in the publishing world. There is a new publisher called Wowio. Apparently, they collect personal information so they can sell it, then they give you three free ebooks a day. Sounds a little disconcerting. Most of the books are kind of cheesy, things which did not sell to a mainstream audience. The signup asks for a lot of personal likes and dislikes. Things like what do you like to read, what do you like to watch, what is your favorite hobby, and how much money do you make.

I think they tried to become an ebookseller then failed. Now, they are trying something else to keep the money coming in. It is kind of an interesting concept. I wonder who is going to be sending me advertising junk which I won't buy.

2 comments:

Cowgirl Betty said...

I'm not exactly a professional writer (or blogger), so I don't think I'm the best person to criticize. I am also a horrible speller and awful grammarian.

However, I have a couple of references that are worth their weight in gold. (1)Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, and (2) Chicago's Manual of Style. Neither should be red cover to cover, but used as a reference when you have a nagging question, or unsure how to proceed.

For basic reading and tips, I find William Zinsser's On Writing Well a great way to help with style, audience,and has a chapter on writing criticism.

To get creative juices flowing, I also recommend Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down to the Bones.

Book Calendar said...

I could never really get into Writing Down the Bones. However, I have heard of William Zinsser's On Writing Well . It is supposed to be a classic book on writing in some ways similar in style to the Elements of Style which has been well worth reading. I have looked at style manuals and dictionaries but rarely use them. I read so much that I tend to absorb words by osmosis. Thanks for the Zinsser suggession.