Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Daily Thoughts 8/12/2009 ( Andrew Carnegie )

Dunfermline Carnegie Library, May Gate, Dunfermline, Fife, Scotland (This is the town where Andrew Carnegie was born). The picture is attributed to:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Kilnburn



Daily Thoughts 8/12/2009



I rather like the Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie so far. The book can be read for free online at http://www.wordowner.com/carnegie/ . I am hoping that I can learn something useful from it. I rather like the quote from Robert Burns in the first chapter, "Thine own reproach alone do fear."


I put the Dean Koontz's Frankenstein; Book Three Dead and Alive on hold to read. It is on the Locus Magazine bestseller list for paperbacks. I enjoyed the first two books in the series.



This morning, I pulled out books to be sent to the bindery. It is part of a slow process of cleaning out the technical service storage area. Most of these were older books, some rare, that were not replaceable. There is still some material to be mended. I think by next week we will have made the area much better organized.



I also double checked my orders for duplication with the public access catalog and ordered a few books that needed to be replaced because they were damaged. I am still doing weeding in the 800s.



I read some more of the Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie. He talks about Emanual Swedenborg and quotes Confucius which is rather interesting. Here is a quote about libraries, " The fundamental advantage of a library is that it gives nothing for nothing. Youths must acquire knowledge themselves. There is no escape from this."

No comments: