Saturday, August 8, 2009

Daily Thoughts 8/8/2009

Joshua Thomas and the first? book wagon or bookmobile. It was reported that the horses names were Dandy and Black Beauty, and that they were stabled at Corderman's Livery Stable in Hagerstown. Washington County Free Library 1905. Picture from Wikimedia


Daily Thoughts 8/8/2009




Today has been slow and quiet. I went and dropped off my library book. It was a pleasant walk up the hill and back.



I'll probably watch The Castle Cagliostro also known as Lupin III which is an anime film. I like to watch films while I do my exercises. I got a chance to watch a little bit of it. I really enjoyed it. This is the kind of movie a teenage boy would really like. It is based on the manga, Monkey Punch and is directed by Hayao Miyazaki. Hayao Miyazaki directed Princess Mononoke which was excellent. This is one of the better anime films I have seen. This is the second time I am watching it.




I was at the mall this afternoon. In the Barnes and Noble window, they had a book with a near perfect title, Madoff With The Money by Jerry Oppenheimer. The cover and the title really fit well. I think it will be something to suggest that we buy. The book is coming out on August 17, 2009.



I have been reading Dean Koontz's Frankenstein A Novel City Of Night Book Two. I read the first book, Prodigal Son a while ago. I will probably read the third book in the series, Dead and Alive as well. The three part series is out in paperback. In this series, the monster who has taken the name of Deucalion is the hero, and Doctor Frankenstein is the villain. It makes for a very nice twist. The setting is New Orleans. Dean Koontz started out writing as a science fiction writer. It feels a little like one of his early novels, except the writing is much better.



I also started reading Keeping Customers published by Harvard Business Review. The writing in this book is very dense, it will take some time to read. There is companion book that goes with this book, Seeking Customers. This is an older book from 1993. The earliest copyright date is 1968. It has proven the test of time. This book about putting customers as the central reason for your business.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great thing to feature. It reminds me of The Camel Bookmobile by Masha Hamilton, a book about the library books carried by camel into remote parts of Kenya and Sudan for the last ten years.

Book Calendar said...

The image was interesting. I have seen several images of travelling libraries on donkey back. This is the first image I saw of this type.