Saturday, June 19, 2010

Daily Thoughts 6/19/2010

Woodblock print, about 1768, Suzuki Harunobu V&A Museum no. E.1053-1963 From Wikimedia


Daily Thoughts 6/19/2010

I check my blog stats sometimes. Here are a few interesting places that visitors have come from. http://guy-who-reads.blogspot.com/ Guy Who Reads, http://libraryjuicepress.com/ Library Juice Press, and
http://blogs.botw.org/Arts/Literature/ Best of the Web Blogs -- Literature (Web Directory).

I am working on a Chick Lit Bookmark today. When I create bookmarks with lists of authors or books, I make sure the authors or titles are for books which our library owns. It is also preferable that the authors have more than one book published.

On the way home, I read some more of Ice Station. It is turning into a strange mish mash of conspiracy theories, suspense, paranoia, special forces, and aliens. As I read the book it becomes more and more odd. I can understand why it became a bestseller, it would appeal to suspense, conspiracy, and military action readers. There were lots and lots of silly, improbable action scenes involving scuba diving, big explosions, hover craft, icebergs, and underground ice stations. The action scenes were very cinematic in style.

Having finished reading Ice Station by Matthew J. Reilly, I can now say there are no aliens. There are irradiated mutant creatures, secret military cabals, man eating killer whales, black aircraft, and special forces teams, but no aliens. I was hoping there would be aliens. SETI was included in the story, but there were no aliens. It was silly escapism. I don't think this book would be something I would have read on my own. It took a Readers Advisory 101 class to motivate me to read it. I liked reading it. The book is c1999. I borrowed it from my library.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout-out! I'm very interested in your continued involvement in library advocacy. I'm in upstate New York, so the sort of problems you're having with funding in the city are also affecting us. I'm happy to see that there are organisations which are organized to support libraries.

Book Calendar said...

Your welcome. I noticed that you also were reading Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Unknown said...

Yes, I enjoyed it a great deal! Kay is one of my favorites, so when I saw that he had a new book out, I snapped it up. Have you read any of his other books?

Book Calendar said...

I enjoyed reading Lions of Al Rassan and The Sarantine Mosaic.