Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Daily Thoughts 6/2/2010

Mr. E. A. Bond, Principal Libr... Digital ID: 1122108. New York Public Library

Mr. E.A. Bond Principal Librarian of the British Museum, 1879

Daily Thoughts 6/2/2010

Today was a quiet day. I checked the displays and tried to get my orders ready for next week. I also am working on some bookmarks for Latin American authors. It should be interesting doing them. I also spent some time going over the mystery ordering with a colleague. We processed some of the books from Book Expo America. We focused mainly on romance titles which are very high demand right now.

I spent some time talking to the Brodart representative who is a book distributor. They only do books which is different than most distributors. The representative was interested in the ebooks section of Book Expo America, The International Digital Publishing Forum. I saw there was a conference, but did not go to the sessions http://www.bookexpoamerica.com/en/Press-Information/Press-Releases/IDPF-Partners-with-BEA-in-2010/

I also made an appointment today to talk to the Bookletters person about widgets and links for our website. I am also looking at a suggestion form so patrons can recommend items.

It looks like we may be in a budget crunch soon. There is a petition going around for funding for our library. It could be very serious very fast. Libraries are increasingly being viewed as something which is not an essential service. Literacy is being seen as a luxury. I have decided to go to a join New York Library Association and New York Library Meetup advocacy meeting on June 17, 2010 at 6:00 p.m. http://www.meetup.com/NYLibrarians/calendar/13673687/

No comments: