Saturday, January 14, 2012

Daily Thoughts 01/14/2012

Ein Stillleben mit einer Korbflasche, einem aufgeschlagenen Buch, Karten und einer Tonpfeife, Öl auf Leinwand, 30 x 20 cm, 1840
Daily Thoughts 01/14/2012

I updated the Twitter and Facebook announcements for the library.

I also read some more of The Ecotechnic Future.  I do not agree with the author about his statements on hydroponics.  I think there are some very promising hydroponics systems being developed for urban settings like the one used by Gotham Greens http://gothamgreens.com/our-philosophy/   I however agree with some of his statements. It is absolutely true that in some cases, organic farming is cheaper than conventional farming because it does not use as much chemicals or petroleum.  For example, I can go to my local supermarket and buy Greenway generic organic products; apple juice, tomato based pasta sauce, pasta, and canned green beans cheaper than the conventionally produced similar products.  I also enjoy going to local farmers markets which have very high quality produce, often better than I can get at the supermarket.  Organic greenhouses ultimately allow urban agriculture to be cheaper in many ways than conventional farming because they cost less for transportation, require less chemicals, and produce a higher quality product.  This is also true of urban aquaculture.

I spent a little time playing with my Kindle Touch.  We have 7 day checkout or 14 day checkout for E-books. This means the book expires in 7 days or 14 days.  E-books are not designed to be returned early. If you are number 5 on a holds list, there are four people ahead of you.  This means you would have to wait at least 28 days. It means there is more of a wait for electronic content.  It is also very easy to put yourself on waiting lists for material  I have four E-books on hold right now. We also have Tumblebooks through the Westchester Library System which is a set of online kids books.

No comments: