Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Daily Thoughts 1/4/2012

Yallourn Public Library bookplate [picture] / Allan Jordan

Daily Thoughts 1/4/2012

I finished reading The Life and Legend of Jay Gould in the morning.  I am definitely prepared for the Biography Book Club on January 17, 2012 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  A few of the Friends of the Library go to the book club.

This morning I checked the Twitter and Facebook accounts.  I also opened the Computer Lab from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Right now, I have the Sony E-reader charging.  I also spent some time with a colleague discussing the Kindle and how it worked.  Her Kindle does not have Wifi so she has to sync it with her Kindle application on the pc.  Tomorrow we are going to spend some time looking over the Nook tablet.  I rather like the Nook tablet.

During the last few minutes of my shift, I showed someone how to download books for the Kindle Fire tablet.  It was much easier than I thought.  Kindle does not require the user to download a separate app to use Overdrive.  Also all their new devices have wifi. 

I finished reading World On the Edge How To Prevent Economic and Environmental Collapse by Lester R. Brown on the train home.  It is a very pure left of center vision of how to solve the worlds problems.  I found it to be too idealistic at points.  I agree with his ideas on planting trees, reducing poverty, promoting local agriculture, family planning, and stabilizing failing states. It is idealism at its finest.  I am not sure his descriptions on how to make the ideas work seem practical.



Web Bits

Biblios
http://www.guylaramee.com/index.php?/biblios/text-1/

This is a video on how to use Adobe Digital Editions for the Nook.  Adobe Digital Editions is used for the Westchester Library System Digital Media Catalog.
http://nooktalk.net/news/loading-books-with-adobe-digital-editions-on-your-nook


Which ebooks are most borrowed from libraries and why?
http://paidcontent.org/article/419-which-e-books-are-most-borrowed-from-libraries-and-why/






No comments: