Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Daily Thoughts 1/3/2012



[Reading room, University of Pennsylvania Library, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania]
Date Created/Published: [ca.1900] I rather like the sepia tones to the photograph.

Daily Thoughts 1/3/2012

This morning, I read some more of World On Edge.  The author was writing about alternative energy, his focus was on the growth of wind, solar, and geothermal energy.  There was nothing about biofuels.  It was a very purist vision of there being no carbon emissions of any kind.

The graphic novel, Same Difference by Derek Kirk Kim came in for me to read.

This morning, I checked the gifts and the displays.  We are working on expanding our email list for publicity.  I dug out a few names for the list.  Also, we are expanding the Computer Lab hours for Academic Use.  The new hours will be on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  I spent some time showing someone how to set up the computer lab today.  I also did a one on one session helping someone with Ereaders and downloading books.  It was my first time doing this.

We are also having the Computer Training today in the evening. The classes are going very well.

I spent some time looking through Forecast and reading the New York Times Book Review.  I also added a few cookbooks from the gift books.

On the way home, I read a bit more of World On Edge.  Lester R. Brown is writing about doing massive reforestation projects.  This would be for commercial tree farms separate from old growth forests.  He argues this would help with climate change and protect our environment.  Earlier he wrote about trains and how we should have a system of bullet trains.  One of my personal dreams would be to ride a bullet train in the United States from New York to San Francisco.  I also read some more of The Life and Legend of Jay Gould.  At this point, Jay Gould has become an ill person obsessed with his railroad empire slowly working hmself to death.

I am still following what is happening with the Board of Estimate.  They look to still be at an impasse.   The old mayor will be leaving the budget hearings and the new mayor will be coming in to replace him during the budget talks.  Hopefully, this should change things for the better for the library.  I hope things will get better.  Maybe if I show up at the meetings to listen it will make a difference.  Woody Allen said "Eighty percent of success is showing up."

No comments: