Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Daily Thoughts 01/18/2012


[Thomas Jefferson, 1743, 1826, reading rough draft of Declaration of Independence to Benjamin Franklin] Date Created/Published: 1897.
Daily Thoughts 01/18/2012

On the train to work, I finished reading Tony Wheeler's Badlands A Tourist on the Axis of Evil.  The last section is on Saudi Arabia.  I was surprised at the degree of separation between men and women in this society.  I also read some more of The Night Circus.  The imagery is fantastic.  I like the idea that real magic is hidden as illusion in this story.

I have still been thinking about possibly getting an iPad.  I am looking at iPad The Missing Manual.  I just read the latest Publishers Weekly.  Gail Carriger has her new book, Timeless coming out in March.  I rather like the Parasol Protector series.  This is the final book in the series.

I checked out the book Debt The First 5,000 Years by David Graeber.

This morning, I updated the Twitter and Facebook page for the library.

I joined the email mailing list for Gluejar which is a new idea for ebooks. http://www.gluejar.com/

We had the Computer Lab today from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  I spent some time helping people look for jobs and helping people print documents. Some of the applications online can take several hours to fill out.

 I also synched the wireless network so I could get some books from the Westchester Library System Digital Media Catalog.  I now have This Changes Everything on my Kindle Touch.  In addition, I downloaded a few free titles from the Kindle Store including Organized Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider.

I have noticed that there are a number of sites that have gone dark in protest of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA).  When I was in the computer lab, we could not get to Craigs List for example.

Web Bits

Why SOPA Still Needs Work
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/18/opinion/mcdiarmid-sopa-legislation/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

No comments: