Monday, July 22, 2013

Daily Thoughts 07/22/2013

At the Garden Table, August Macke, 1914
Daily Thoughts 07/22/2013

I was at the Harlem Book Fair this weekend.  It was the first time I went.  It was a mix of urban fiction, African American fiction, religious books, and childrens books.  There were some poetry readings.  It was a bit different.  A lot of the material was self published.  I picked up some catalogs for the children's room, a variety of postcards and bookmarks on urban fiction which I gave to a colleague, and a list of nonfiction books which I ordered today.  I learned a little bit. 

After walking around for a while, I picked up some fruit punch with sorrel, pineapple, and oranges in it.  It was a very hot day.  There were a number of readings happening at the same in the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture which is one of the branches of the New York Public Library. http://www.nypl.org/locations/schomburg I spent some time writing down some of the titles which people were lecturing on.  I also visited the gift shop which had a large selection of books on African American culture, art, civil rights, and history.  I took a few notes on books that were there.

It was very interesting looking around.  It was the first time I had been there.  There were two art galleries; one had a show of Africans in India: From Slaves to Generals to Rulers.  There was a little bit about the Mughals in the show.

This morning, I checked the Facebook and Twitter for the library and checked the displays and gift books.  I have a copy of the New York Times Book Review to read and Library Journal.  I am looking at the Mosaic Literary Magazine blog which I found out about in the Schomburg.  http://mosaicmagazine.org/blog/

The computer lab is open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  I spent a little time updating some of the content on the Bookletters page.

No comments: