Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Daily Thoughts 03/12/2014

Reading in the Garden, 1910, Ipolit Strombu

Daily Thoughts 03/12/2014

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I had an interesting time with the trains.  I was at Grand Central station I got on the train to go to work and found it was not moving.  There was announcement that there was a police action on 125th street in Harlem.   I got off the train told my work I was going to be late.  I waited on the train for another half hour reading.  Then there was an announcement that a building had blown up on 116th street in Harlem.   I was glad that I was not on the earlier train.  I can imagine being evacuated onto the elevated tracks.  When this kind of thing happens it is scary, because there is no context and reason that is clear initially. http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Park-Avenue-116th-Street-Fire-Collapse-Explosion-249730131.html

I got off the train called work, and got on the subway took it to the end of the line and took a taxi the rest of the way to work. http://yonkers.dailyvoice.com/news/metro-north-announces-alternate-service-plan-after-explosion

  I got plenty of reading on The Good Spy.  I read a very detailed description of a political assassination of a PLO member, about the civil war in Lebanon from 1975 to 1979, and about many details of the establishment of the Islam Republic of Iran. 

I checked the displays when I got in, spent some time talking with a colleague about Adult Summer Reading, and worked a little bit on preparation for a poetry program during the summer.  We are thinking of doing a book and film program where you watch the film and talk about the book and film together.

Another article on Sterling Cleveland who will be at the Mount Vernon Public Library on Saturday, March 15, 2014 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. to talk about his diabetes walk.  http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bronx/man-walks-nation-diabetes-awareness-article-1.1437507

I spent a little time working on the oversize books.

I am drinking tea and doing a bit of desk clearing.

Web Bits

Breaking Out of the Library Mold in Boston and Beyond
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/08/us/breaking-out-of-the-library-mold-in-boston-and-beyond.html?_r=1

No comments: