Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Daily Thoughts 08/12/2014

David Teniers the Younger, The Concert of Cats, 17th Century

Daily Thoughts 08/12/2014

I read some more of Wired for Story this morning.  Lisa Cron is writing about how to stay focused and not include extraneous or distracting information.

I did an interview for a part-time computer clerk this morning.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  I spent some time working with the books on Africa.  I am updating the section.

I spent some time preparing for the Poetry Workshop in September as well as National Library Card Sign Up Month which is also in September.  I did a small display on Marvel comics which is were Stan Lee, the spokesman for National Library Card Sign Up Month worked.

I have a meeting this afternoon with the Planning Committee to discuss the survey we are working on. We are working on finalizing the content for the survey.

On the way home,  I read some more of Wired for Story.  One of the reasons people like fiction so much is that the stories are consistent, the protagonists have to have reasons for what they are doing, the main characters have clear motivations.   There is a point to peoples actions.  This is the comfort of a world where everything follows a consistent pattern.  It is nothing like real life.

Web Bits

Why the Public Library Beats Amazon-- For Now
http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-the-public-library-beats-amazonfor-now-1407863714

No comments: