Thursday, July 2, 2015

Daily Thoughts 07/02/2015

The Room of Flowers - Childe Hassam

Childe Hassam, The Room of Flowers, 1894

Daily Thoughts 07/02/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I am reading more of The Mindful Way Through Stress.  There is a section in Chapter 13 on a series of yoga postures that are meant to combined with mindfulness.

I have been reading Lowes Moore Chronicles: Life on the Narrow Road From the Boys and Girls Club to the NBA.  It is an inspirational read.  The book resonates well with the local community.  There is a reminder to stay on the straight and narrow, be very focused, and not stray into doing negative things.  I am enjoying the parts about basketball and the practice for becoming a top notch player.  Lowes Moore does a good job in describing how basketball is as much a mental game as a physical game.  I think this would be a good book for local teenagers.  It reminds me of how my grandfather insisted I join the swim team.  At the discussion last night, Lowes Moore talked about how more kids need to read to improve their lives.  Part of his focus is to help reduce illiteracy.
Basketball is important in Mount Vernon.  Basketball Documentary Films at Mount Vernon High School.  http://westchester.news12.com/news/four-square-miles-to-glory-basketball-documentary-films-at-mt-vernon-high-school-1.10593496

I started reading Inequality What Can Be Done by Anthony B. Atkinson.  This book is mainly focused on income inequality.  It does ask some interesting questions at the start like should we focus on poverty first or on the more general question of the distribution of wealth.

There is a new streaming service from Westchester Library System called Indieflix.
https://www.rbdigital.com/wlsny/service/indieflix   There are a lot of short films and animation to watch which are less than ten minutes long.
I went to Barnes and Noble today.  I bought two books, The Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer which is a fantasy paperback and The Unincorporated man by Dani Kollin and Eytan Kollin which is a science fiction paperback.  I took a look around. Gore Vidal has a hard boiled crime novel called Thieves Fall Out published by Hard Case Crime.


Web Bits


Edgewidge Danticat The Power of Books and Libraries

2015 International Latino Book Awards

No comments: