Monday, July 6, 2015

Daily Thoughts 07/06/2015



Anton Raphael Mengs, The Triumph of History over Time (Allegory of the Museum Clementinum), ceiling fresco in the Camera dei Papiri, Vatican Library, 1772

Daily Thoughts 07/06/2015

I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I read some more of Dead Wake on the way to work.  I am reading about the captain of the Lusitania.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  I am going to be working on the 700s with some volunteers.  Hopefully, we will also have extended hours for the computer lab this summer.

I read several copies of Booklist, the latest copy of Bookpage, and a few copies of Library Journal today.  I also placed an order for new books this morning.

We are working on marketing for Hoopla.  Hoopla announced that we have their service this morning. http://www.mountvernonpubliclibrary.org/hoopla 

In combination with Indieflix which the Westchester Library System just purchased https://www.rbdigital.com/wlsny/service/indieflix , there is now a very nice selection of streaming films.

 I checked out the book, The Lost Fleet Leviathan Beyond the Frontier by Jack Campbell.  It is military science fiction.

On the way home from work, I read a little more of Dead Wake.  The Lusitania was sunk by a german submarine at the start of World War I.

I read a little bit more of Inequality What Can Be Done.  I am reading about different ways to insure wages and livable incomes.  There are concepts like the minimum wage and the right to work being discussed.  It reminds me of the many different schemes which people have to guarantee ways people do not fall into poverty. There is also discussion on what is the right maximum wage for executives.


Web Bits


Vancouver Public Library is the Best Library System in the World

There’s No Such Things As  A Fake Reader


No comments: