Monday, July 13, 2015

Daily Thoughts 07/13/2015

Portrait of Emile Zola
Edouard Manet, Portrait of Emile Zola, 1868

Daily Thoughts 07/13/2015

I checked the library Facebook and Twitter.

I read some more of Dead Wake The Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson.  A dead wake is the path which a torpedo makes when it heads towards a ship.  I am reading about the explosion and sinking of the Lusitania and its aftermath.

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.

I also spent some time checking the 700s.

There is a yoga class from 1:00 p.m. to 1:45 p.m. in the Grace Greene Baker Community Room.  It is the first time we are doing this for adults.

I checked out the book, Not Impossible The Art and Joy of Doing What Couldn't Be Done by Mick Ebeling.

I have a copy of the New York Times Book Review to read.  I put my order of new books in last night.

There is a box of galleys that came in from Library Journal.  A few of them look interesting like The Witch of Lime Street, Seance, Seduction, and Houdini in the Spirit World by David Jaher which is nonfiction, We Never Asked for Wings by Vanessa Diffenbaugh, and The Lightning Stones by Jack Du Brul.

I finished reading Dead Wake the Last Crossing of the Lusitania by Erik Larson.  I think it lacked some things.  It did not have any pictures.  I think this would have helped.  The descriptions have a lot of information in them, but are not vivid.  I liked some of the anecdotes about the passengers.  I think the book was very well researched.  There are extensive notes, an index, and bibliography.  I found the writing a bit dry. At the same time, I thought there was a lot of detail.  There is an exacting to the book which makes the writing seem authentic.  I will have to wait and see what the other people in the book club think.

I started reading Mission Based Marketing Second Edition, Positioning Your Not-For-Profit In an Increasingly Competitive World by Peter C. Brinckerhoff.  This books describes a very customer focused orientation in marketing.  It views everyone that interacts with an organization as a customer.


Web Bits


 Netflix  Like Book Services Would be Happy if You Read Less
Libraries are happy if you read more.  Read more romance.

Readers Win When Libraries Add E-books, But Preserve Print as Well

Why Adults are Buying Coloring Books (For Themselves)
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/why-adults-are-buying-coloring-books-for-themselves?intcid=mod-most-popular
Complete with adult preschool.


No comments: