Thursday, May 15, 2008

Afternoon Meanderings.

I finished reading Michael Chabon's Maps And Legends Reading And Writing Along the Borderlands. During lunch, I started working on a review of this book. It is halfway done. I had a salad with chicken today, no carbs.

This morning, I read some more review material, the New York Times Book Review, and the latest Library Journal in print. I placed another book on hold. Economics for a Crowded Planet by Jeffrey D. Sachs. It was on this weeks New York Times bestsellers for business books. It was also reviewed nicely in the May 18, 2008 New York Times Book Review.

I didn't see anything else worth looking at this morning. I have been working on getting publicity done for a SCORE-- Service Corps of Retired Executives small business workshop on marketing on May 28, 2008. I look forward to having this done here. I am not against business. Many people simply don't fit into the large business or government mindset. They really need to work for themselves. I have nothing against small business.

When I was younger and had more time, I used to go out and pick comic books and genre fiction from yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores and other places. I would trade them in for other comic books. Eventually, it got to the point where the the stores which I traded with would let me price the old paperbacks, ace doubles, conan paperbacks, gold key paperbacks, and others.

I would also price some of the hardcover genre fiction sometimes as well. It got to the point where I had a huge collection of old science fiction and fantasy. I sold most of it to help pay for my wedding later, but that is another story. I still have four long boxes of what would be called, "ground level" comic books. Titles like Hot Stuff, Den, Quack, Cobalt 60, Alter Ego, and The First Kingdom.

Unfortunately, most of the science fiction bookstores are long dead in Manhattan. The only one still standing is Forbidden Planet. The last time I was there, they had a single bookshelf of science fiction. Now they sell mostly art books, manga, graphic novels, and comic books. The younger clientele has changed. In the back, you can also get video games.

I've also done small jobs here and there doing research online for people on occassion. It really is not hard to moonlight on the side. A sole propietorship requires you to register yourself with the county you are doing business in for a small fee. In Westchester County you pick up the forms from the county clerk have them notarized and pay $35 to have them processed. It is another $4.00 for the notarization. Once this is done you are in business as a sole propietor.

I am also working on arranging for a person to come in and do an estate planning workshop. It should be interesting.

No comments: