Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thoughts For The Day


Reading room at the Edgar Allen Poe National Historic Site in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA).

I can imagine sitting here drinking a cup of tea, maybe with a candle on the table and reading a book. I've never been here but the picture is mildly inspirational. I am in a whimsical mood and am not quite sure what to say today.

I am sitting in my local library right now. I have a copy of One Foot In The Grave by Jeaniene Frost in front of me, which I had seen from the Avon Romance blog. It has an imprint on the side which reads Avon Paranormal Romance. I am going to take this home to read.

I also have a business inspiration book called The One Minute Entrepreneur by Ken Blanchard, Don Hutson, and Ethan Willis. It is in the same grain as the bestselling book, The One Minute Manager. I feel like I might have a Who Moved My Cheese moment and be inspired in a business sense. There is a whole class of business books that are inspirational and create a positive attitude but have very little practical business application. The classic book in positive thinking is The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale. It has spawned an endless series of copies.

I'll probably look around some more today in the library after I run out of time to sit at the computer. I haven't looked closely at the graphic novels yet.

While I was browsing through the new books, I of course saw a movie book, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by James Rollins. It looks kind of ridiculous. This is one of those instances where I will wait for the movie to come out on dvd, rather than reading the book spinoff.

Today has been a rather slow day. Earlier, I went downtown and took the bus. Parking is hard to find there. On the way in, I read more of The Enchantress of Florence: A Novel by Salman Rushdie. I have not read anything quite like his style. It is quite unique and quite irreverent. The book is full of tricks, insults, and philosophical musings.

I picked up a few shirts and got some Chinese food to bring home, steamed chicken with rice. It comes with some cabbage and a kind of light soy sauce.

I also walked to the library. Now, I am here sitting in front of the computer writing something which you can read. I posted a message on twitter about sitting in the library. There is something novel about doing social networking in a public place. I don't have a laptop with wireless.

I wonder what it would be like to wander around with wifi and do social networking applications while sitting in small cafe drinking coffee. I know there must be a few people doing that right now who are reading this blog. Make a comment if you want.

I actually like writing these random thoughts. It is kind of relaxing. My time will be up soon. I was sitting next to some teenagers for a moment who were playing with myspace. One person had 11 pages of myspace contacts, over 200 contacts. It was kind of astounding.

No comments: