Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Daily Thoughts

I have been reading a bit more of MBA In A Day. We have a new director at our library. She has a Masters in Administration. I am trying to figure out what exactly goes into the masters degree. Most librarians don't have administrative training. They tend to have a masters in library science. This creates a kind of odd distinction in our library. Understanding the strategies being used to change where I work should be quite helpful.

One of the books I requested has come in, The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. I am looking forward to reading this. I haven't read any books by him yet. Many of his books were banned in Muslim countries for their content. He is supposed to write in the style of magical realism.

I had a chance to read the latest New York Times Book Review and look throught the various bestseller lists. I put a few more books on hold, America's Hidden History by Kenneth C. Davis, and American Nerd: The Story of My People by Benjamin Nugent. The title American Nerd has a very nice ring to it. It is very attention getting. That is why I became interested in the book almost immediately. Plus, I secretly harbor ambitions to nerdom, I am one of those outliers on the borders.

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson is in the catalog. There is a record but there are no copies attached to the record. This means I will eventually be able to put the book on hold. These things always are a matter of patience.

I also put Little Brother a new book by Cory Doctorow on hold. Cory Doctorow can be pretty radical sometimes. I am looking forward to reading something a bit different in this title. It is a young adult title.

For those of you who like pictures, I was looking at Pulp Gallery today, it has thousands of images of old pulp fiction covers. It can be quite intriguing. Spicey Adventure, Famous Detective, The Shadow, The Spider, Argosy, Doc Savage and many other covers are shown there. It really gives a sense of nostalgia for yesteryear.
http://picasaweb.google.com/pulpgallery

My Technorati favorites came back. My fans are back. Technorati is working again. It took about eight days. They were polite and fixed the problem.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for the mention of my website!
The domain name www.PulpGallery.com (which re-directs to picasa)is probably easier to remember than the Picasa address you mentioned above. 30 days ago the gallery's storage site had to move to Picasa after the Epson photo hosting site CLOSED. I'm sure there is a bit of re-sorting to do on a few of the current albums, but it was a quick move to another quality FREE image host. One of these days I'll get the 8000 images up to way over 10,000 but I don't have as much free time as I used to for processing images ...even though I am still pooling pulp and pin-up scans.
Have a great day!
-Daryl
www.PulpGallery.com

Book Calendar said...

I hope you continue to expand the site. I really enjoyed looking at the picture. They remind me of some of my favorite stories. I really enjoy reading the Shadow and the Spider. They give me such a thrill.