Thursday, May 8, 2008

Thoughts For Today

Hello, I finished reading a book called Goblin War by Jim C. Hines. I enjoyed reading it. It was a humorous fantasy about a goblin who has to survive human and elven raiders, and an army of orcs, trolls, wolves, goblins, and kobolds. I thought about reviewing it, but I haven't read the first two books in the series, Goblin Quest and Goblin Hero. This makes me think I should wait until we get these two books. None of the libraries in the system where I work have these two books. I am going to try and convince the young adult librarian to buy this series. After all, Goblin War was on the Locus Bestseller list and got excellent reviews. I think it would be an injustice to write a review of a series I haven't read completely.

I requested that our library buy Steampunk edited by Ann and Jeff Vandermeer. It is interesting seeing husband and wife writing teams. I don't know if this team will be as good as Henry Kuttner and C.L. Moore who wrote as a husband and wife team, but I know that their writing is already excellent. This book got a starred review in the Publishers Weekly April 21, 2008 issue.

Another book which I am suggesting for purchase is The Kingmakers How The Media Threatens Our Security and Democracy by Mike Gravel and David Eisenbach, Ph.D.. It received a starred review in the May 5, 2008 Publishers Weekly. The book is slated to be out June 1, 2008.

There is a rather interesting article on CNN on the Great Comic Books Scare of the 1950s. It mentions The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/books/05/08/comic.books/index.html

Today, it was a really nice day out. There was a light wind blowing around 70 degrees, not too sunny. I still ran a poetry open microphone today. Eight people showed up and several people read. I guess a few of them were there for the cookies, juice, and water. I read a few of my own poems. I brought some books down from upstairs by different poets, Maya Angelou, Calvin Trillin, Jack Kerouac, Rita Dove, Bei Dao and a few others. The cookies were all gone by the end of the program. One of the older gentlemen who comes to the library talked about trumpet playing for a little bit.

Tomorrow, I am going to the Westchester Library Association conference. It should be interesting. I have to be there by 8:00 a.m. My library is paying for it. I ordered the vegetarian lunch. They always have a hard time messing up vegetarian food. I don't like rubber chicken lunches you occassionally get at conferences. I hope I get to gab with a few different people in addition to the speakers. The train ride up will be interesting. Unfortunately, none of the items I have on hold came in for me to check out.

No comments: