Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Thoughts for Today

This morning, I read through Reference and User Services Quarterly, the magazine of the Reference and User Services Association. There was not much that was new that was striking. There were a few new reference books worth looking at. I have a late day so, I won't be leaving for work until 10 a.m. This gives me some latitude to relax for a bit.

Unfortunately, I could not get into reading A Writer's People Ways of Looking and Feeling by V.S. Naipaul. The writing was crisp, clear, and understandable. However, the subject and voice distracted me. A lot of the early book was about the literary life in Trinidad. I am sure this will fascinate some people. Unfortunately, it did not fascinate me. There is some material on the development of literature in the Caribbean. I put it down after a while. The point I put it down was when V.S. Naipaul was describing his life living on the margin in England, starting his career as a writer.

The Reader Over Your Shoulder is turning out to be a much better experience. It gives some excellent examples on how to write clearly, eliminate bureaucratic language, and get rid of ambiguity.

Goblin War by Jim C. Hines came for me as a reserve today.

I put The Man On The Ceiling By Steve Resnick Tem and Melanie Tem on hold. It is a horror novella of sorts. It is supposed to be a little bit different.

I ordered some more law books for reference this morning and read the latest issue of Booklist magazine.

I also printed a bunch of the short poems which I wrote on this blog to read tomorrow at the poetry open microphone at my library.

In addition to Invincible which I reviewed today, a few other graphic novels came in. One manga which a lot of teenagers read is Azu Manga Daioh by Kiyohiko Azuma.

1 comment:

Relax Max said...

I really like your blog. Good stuff. Keep it up, ok? :)