Sunday, June 7, 2009

Daly Thoughts 6/7/2009

William Morris Age 53


Daily Thoughts 6/7/2009

Yesterday, I went to the Strand after going to the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art to see if they had In The Stormy Red Sky by David Drake. They were out of stock there. They also do not have it at my local library or the library I work at. I could order it, but I decided to try it on Baen as a Webscription.

This is the first time I have spent money on an ebook online. I went to the Baen website, joined as a member, then downloaded the book. The first thing I noticed was that I needed an unzipper to make the download available. I got a new one. Then I looked at the two different formats available that I could read on my computer as an .rtf or an .html file. When I looked at the .rtf file, it looked like I was reading a Word document. This was not to my liking. I tried the HTML reader which is much better. Now, I can finish reading the book on my computer. It cost me $15.00 online versus $25.00 at the bookstore. The .html document looks like most of the books in the Baen free library which I am used to.



I also finished reading Connected The Surprising Power of Our Social Networks and How They Shape Our Lives by Nicholas A. Christakis, MD, Ph.D. and James H. Fowler, Ph.D.. I am thinking about how I will review it. It made me a bit uncomfortable because it made me realize that I was not networking or using social networks properly. I am going to have to change my behavior if I am going to get the full use of both social networks online and in person. There is al lot for me to learn.


Twitter for libraries and librarians. http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/may09/Milstein.shtml

No comments: