Friday, May 20, 2011

Daily Thoughts 5/20/2011 (Fuzzy Nation, 63 Documents)

Zürich, Wasserkirche : Blick in die Bürgerbibliothek. Stich von Johann Melchior Füssli, Neujahrsblatt der Burgerbibliothek, 1719.

Daily Thoughts 5/20/2011

Today was a very steady day.  I checked the displays, designed a new flyer for the computer lab, updated the displays, and wrote up a description of the Westchester Library Association conference. Wendi Corsi Staub, one of the Washington Irving Award winners mentioned that they are looking for venues for writers from Mystery Writers of America to speak or sign books in Westchester county.

I also spent some time reading reviews and getting my orders ready.  There were a number of interesting titles that caught my attention which I put on hold, The Science of Evil, On Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty by Simon Bar-Cohen,  How the Hippies Saved Science, Counterculture, and the Quantum Revival by David Kaiser, and Bottled Lightning: Superbatteries, Electric Cars and the New Lithium Economy by Seth Fletcher.

Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi came in for me to read.  Also a local poet came by to show us her new book.  I also got the final contract for a computer teacher to come in once a week.  We just need to look it over a little more closely.

On the way home, I finished reading 63 Documents The Government Does Not Want You To Read by Jesse Ventura. It was a nice set of documents that reveals how corrupt and sometimes unethical government can be. I don't see it as a deep evil conspiracy like Jesse Ventura seems to be implying, but a part of the darker side of human nature.

I also started reading Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi.

No comments: