Sunday, May 8, 2011

Daily Thoughts 5/8/2011 (the crippled god)

Cover of the pulp magazine Weird Tales (December 1935, vol. 26, no. 6) featuring the Conan novel The Hour of the Dragon by Robert E. Howard

Daily Thoughts 5/8/2011


I have been reading The Crippled God this morning by Steven Erikson. The chatpers beginnings have poetry.  He also separates the lands of the gods and heros which have a dreamy quality to them from the every day world in his fantasy by using ornate writing with the quality of lucid dreams.  I could read the sections with the character Karsa Orlong by themselves.

I also read some more of A Portrait of the Artist at a Young Man by James Joyce.  I am beginning to understand why there are book clubs that are solely focused on Joyce.  I like the themes of sin and forgiveness in the novel.

Web Bits

Publishers Plan A Joint One Stop Book Site
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/07/books/publishers-plan-a-joint-one-stop-book-site.html?_r=1&ref=technology

No comments: