Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Daily Thoughts 02/07/2012

David Laing by Sir William Fettes Douglas, 1862


Daily Thoughts 02/07/2012


This morning, I read some of Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Khaneman on the way to work.  I just finished reading about regression to the mean in the performance.  The idea is that over time our performance tends to average out.  It shows me that in order to perform well, one has to improve ones basic performance.

I checked the displays and gifts and updated the Twitter and Facebook accounts.  There was a copy of Love In The Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez in the gifts.  There were a number of flyers to post on Facebook for events.  I am getting a better grasp of how to do events at the library.  I have been working with the board of trustees on this.

The book, The Age of Austerity How Scarcity Will Remake American Politics by Thomas Byrne Edsall came in for me to read.

I spent some time talking to people about programs today.  I spoke with a gentleman named Kabiru Mohammed who self published a play, The Tragedy of Ethalia and a book of poems, Life's Passion.

I also spent a few minutes talking to the Friends of the Library.  We have the Biography Book Club on February 14, 2012 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m..  I have to pick out a biography of a person who is in the news to read.  I think I am going to read about Clint Eastwood.  I think I will read Clint The Life and Legend by Patrick McGilligan.

Web Bits

The TOC Perspective: A Call for a Unified E-book Market
http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/content-and-e-books/article/50484-the-toc-perspective-a-call-for-a-unified-e-book-market.html
I am a fan of Joe Wikert's blog and always his writing and perspectives.

BEA Bloggers Conference
http://bookexponews.blogspot.com/2012/02/book-bloggers-convention-at-bea.html

How to be an Indie Booksellers Dream
http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/02/03/how-to-be-an-indie-booksellers-dream/?mod=google_news_blog

Occupy Elsevier A boycott of the publishing giant swells, but is the criticism warranted?
http://the-scientist.com/2012/02/07/occupy-elsevier/

No comments: