Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Daily Thoughts 09/03/2013


Philosopher Reading, Rembrandt, 1631

Daily Thoughts 09/03/2013

I have been on vacation for a while.  I took a break from blogging and did some extra house cleaning, spent some time home, and watched the landlord put in part of a new electric heating system.  I did not get a lot of reading done.  I read some of Night Film by Marisha Pessl.  It touches on the edges of reason, with a bit of horror, irrationality, and madness throughout the book.  Rather than a detective story, the story is one of a rather gonzo investigative journalist looking into the suicide of the daughter of a reclusively strange horror film producer.  The story is bizarre, sits on the edge of the reason, and includes things which are almost supernatural in their oddness.  I am finding the design of the book intriguing because it includes lots of photographs of make believe people.  It stretches the imagination without truly being fantasy.

This morning, I checked the displays, the gift books, and did a bit of updating for the social media for the library.  I added a few books on photography in the book cases in front of the rotunda gallery.  I also printed up some flyers for the new computer classes that are coming out in September and October.  They should be interesting.  One of my colleagues is doing computer classes for seniors and another is doing computer classes in Spanish.

I have a few things to catch up on.  I have to do some ordering.  I also did a little bit of weeding today.  I try and be consistent and do a little bit each day.

We had the computer lab open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.  There were also two computer classes, a Microsoft Word class and a Fundamentals of Computers class.

Web Bits

With Modern Makeovers Americas Libraries Are Branching Out
http://www.npr.org/2013/09/01/217211315/with-modern-makeovers-americas-libraries-are-branching-out


No comments: