Thursday, December 5, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/05/2013

Woman Reading, Mary Cassatt, 1879

Daily Thoughts 12/05/2013

This morning, on the way to work, I read some more of Focus The Hidden Driver of Excellence. Daniel Goleman is writing about how attention affects leadership and decision making.

I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook page. I also checked the displays and the gift books.

I spent some time planning for a nonfiction book discussion in January. I am planning on starting with Sonia Sotomayor, My Beloved World.

I also wrote my monthly report and gathered some statistics. Tomorrow there is going to be a management meeting.

I also did some more weeding in the oversize books.

There is a class in the Computer Lab tonight on Social Media from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m..

I finished reading Focus The Hidden Driver of Excellence on the way home. This book is an overview of different ways people can pay attention and how to improve attention. It is basic in its scope, but useful.

I started reading Thieves of Book Row New York's Most Notorious Rare Book Ring and the Man Who Stopped It by Travis McDade. Travis McDade is a curator of rare books at the University of Illinois College of Law. This is a historical account of early book thievery in New York. It tells a story of book scouting, book thieves, antiquarian booksellers and the lascivious side of the trade. We learn about book pirates and bookleggers in their back rooms as well as library thieves. This story will be especially interesting to librarians and book people. I like the historical details.

Web Bits In Defense of Crafting With Books

http://bookriot.com/2013/12/03/defense-crafting-with-books/

No comments: