Friday, December 20, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/20/2013

Daily Thoughts 12/20/2013 On the way to work, I read some more of Running Book Discussion Groups. I read some suggestions for props and introducing people in a book discussion group. The book is very practical.

I also read a little more of Without Their Permission. Alex Ohanian is writing about Y Combinator which is a startup training school which helps entrepreneurs generate workable ideas. Y Combinator reminds us to "Make something people want."

I checked the libraries Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I also checked the new book displays.

We had a management meeting this morning. We discussed the library budget, weeding, and a few other issues.

I spent some time shifting books in the oversize collection. I also worked a bit more on the strategic plan for my department. It is a slow, steady process. It is not due immediately. I have to look over the Star Libraries article in Library Journal as well as some of the documentation on 21st century libraries.

I read some more of Without Their Permission. I am reading about crowdsourcing and crowdfunding both for nonprofits and businesses. Two of the organizations written about are Donors Choose and Kickstarter. I also read a little more of Running Book Discussion Groups. I am reading about author appearances and how to choose the right author to speak at a library.

I may be going to the Mount Vernon city budget hearings soon. I have gone every year for the last several years and it always has been informative and a bit challenging.

Web Bits

Jessamyn West Documents Vermont Public Libraries http://www.7dvt.com/2013jessamyn-west-documents-vermont-public-libraries#!

No comments: