Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/17/2013

From the British Library Flickr Photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary

Daily Thoughts 12/17/2013

I read some more of Junkyard Planet this morning. I learned that it costs $75 for a computer refurbished at least partially from e-waste in China with Word and internet access in the Guiyu Electrical Components Market. I am also reading about automobile shredding machines. I rather like this book. It shows that what we dump is often useful to other people.

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.

I had the day off and read a lot. I finished reading Junkyard Planet Travels in the Billion Dollar Trash Trade by Adam Minter. The read was enjoyable. There were a lot of different elements to the story; the business of trash, environmental perspectives, traveling all over the United States and China, and quite a bit of autobiography. This made the book varied and full of all kinds of things for the reader to think about.

Web Bits

How Beatrix Potter self-published Peter Rabbit

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2013/dec/17/beatrix-potter-peter-rabbit-self-publishing Because I adore Benjamin Bunny and Peter Rabbit.

No comments: