Monday, December 30, 2013

Daily Thoughts 12/30/2013

Child With Prints, William Merritt Chase, circa 1880-1884

Daily Thoughts 12/30/2013

I took a break this weekend and did not do much. I read the novel, Neptunes Brood, A Space Opera by Charles Stross. This is a wonderful novel, it is the first time I have ever read a science fiction novel where the main character is a forensic accountant in the far future. The ideas in this novel are fantastic. The question comes up of how you do interstellar banking and fund colonies for future humanity. I liked the action, the bits of legal and police procedure, and the fantastic technology in this book. This is a book brimming with wonderful new ideas and amazing technology.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library. I also checked the displays. The book, The Book Club Companion by Diana Loevy came in for me to read.

I read the latest copy of the New York Times Book review this morning.

The computer lab was open from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. today.

I did some more weeding in the oversize books today.

Web Bits Reading A Novel Changes the Brain A Study Shows

http://www.slj.com/2013/12/research/reading-a-novel-changes-the-brain-study-shows/#_

Read to win the War: 13 Vintage Posters Promoting American Libraries

http://gizmodo.com/read-to-win-the-war-13-vintage-posters-promoting-ameri-1481958684

Sherlock Holmes Is In the Public Domain, American Judge Rules

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/27/sherlock-holmes-is-in-the-public-domain-american-judge-rules/?_r=0

No comments: