Monday, January 26, 2015

Daily Thoughts 01/26/2015


Daily Thoughts 01/26/2015

I am enjoying reading The Whispering Storm by Michael Moorcock.  I am reading about a strange experience which Michael Moorcock is not sure is real or a hallucination where meets one of the fantasy characters he writes about called Moll Midnight.

I checked the Facebook and Twitter accounts for the library this morning.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  We are closing early today because of a big snowstorm at noon.

I have to send in the graphic novels grant in this morning.  It is snowing heavily outside and I have to get on the train back home before it stops running.

I put in an order for new books today.  The new February Bookpage came in for me to read. I also picked up a few posters from the business office for Black History Month which is this February.

My train ride from work home was quite long.  I had a chance to read some of The World of Raymond Chandler.  Raymond Chandler did not start writing mystery stories for money until he was in his 40s.  There are some interesting pictures of Erle Stanley Gardner and Dashiell Hammett as well as James M. Cain in the book so far.  Raymond Chandler is often considered to be the most literary of the hard boiled detective writers.

I also read some more of The Whispering Storm.  I am reading about Michael Moorcock's first marriage.  I learned that one of Michael Moorcock's mentors was Mervyn Peake.  I am not that fond of Gormenghast, Mervyn Peake's most famous novel.  The writing is beautiful, but a little too dark for my tastes.



Web Bits

Evolution for Libraries In Brooklyn Plans for Brooklyn Branches Have Merit
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/26/arts/plans-for-brooklyn-branches-have-merit.html?_r=0





No comments: