Saturday, May 31, 2008

Morning Thoughts

Beatrix Potter with her dog Spot. Photograph taken in 1881.


Yesterday, I cleared out the display case for the Super Librarian display and put in a new display. I am doing books with movies or movie tie-ins. Basically, it is taking dvd and displaying the book that goes with the movie. A few of the movies displayed are, Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon, Diana Wynn Jones Howl's Moving Castle, Harvey Pekar American Splendor, and The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants by Ann Brashares.

Yesterday, while I was looking through the dvd's for circulation, I found Miss Potter, a movie about Beatrix Potter starring Renee Zellwegger. I am looking forward to seeing a movie about the creatrix of Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddleduck, and Benjamin Bunny some of my favorite childhood books. It looks to be an excellent art film. There are supposed to be some animation sequences in the film as she is dreaming of her children's book character.

I was reading The Enchantress of Florence by Salman Rushdie. It really is a very well designed book. The book is printed on acid free paper, has a very nice jacket design, and even lists the typeface in the back, Bembo which is quite elegant and easy to read.

I am reading another book at the same time, Full of Bull by Stephen T. McClellan. I usually don't read two books at once, but I am doing it now.

I took a few minutes to add Shelfari to my blog. This is a picture of the books which I have read. It is on the sidebar now. It looks kind of interesting. http://www.shelfari.com/ . I spent a few minutes looking around Shelfari. I put in my logo and joined a few discussion groups mostly on science fiction and fantasy. It looks like most social networking sites, there are friends, groups, and a shared subject books.

I took a look at Librarything, you can catalog up to 200 books on librarything for free. There must be a lot of people who think cataloging is fun. I am not that into detail to find cataloging books to be fun. I have to say that librarything is not my cup of tea. I would much rather read about books and advise people on books. Still, there are some interesting things in library thing. For example, the collection of the Museum of Comic and Cartoon Art catalog of graphic novels is freely available to look at. http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=moccany . There are other catalogs available as well.

I think Goodreads would be redundant on this site. This is what I am already doing with the blog I am writing now.


A few more reserves came in for me to check out. I am being flooded with books again. Little Brother by Cory Doctorow came in. I would say it is a near future thriller for young adults. Also America's Hidden History, Untold Tales of The First Pilgrims, Fighting Women, and Forgotten Founders Who Shaped A Nation by Kenneth C. Davis came in. This should be a fairly interesting history book.

No comments: