Monday, May 5, 2008

Morning Thoughts, Poetry Handbook

This morning is once again very quiet. I put some new inserts into the law books, checked books to weed for reference and made sure the reference room was in order. Not a whole lot is going on right now. I also gave a few catalogs from New York Comic Con to the young adult librarian.

I reread pieces of A Poetry Handbook by Mary Oliver. I think I can read this book repeatedly. It is quite good.

Here is another short poem.

Book

Oh look, oh look I have a book
My book is fine for it is mine
I paid for its page with my wages
Now I read with slow slow speed
Taking in what lies within
The pages turn so I can learn
What is taught for my thoughts
This book so fine that is mine

I had a Seussian moment on the train. Dr. Seuss happens to be one of my literary heros. I think he is fantastic. In addition to being a writer, he also edited children's books like the Berenstain Bears.

I think this book is worth having.



Right now, I am thinking of a few things. On June 7, and June 8, MOCCA-- The Museum of Cartoon and Comic Art hosts the MOCCA art festival in New York. It has been a lot of fun to attend. There are a lot of alternative and comics literature presses there as well as a very interesting guest list.

The program this year looks really fantastic. I'll probably take a day to go to this. The guest of honor this year is Bill Plympton.

http://www.moccany.org/artfest-programming-08.html

I still haven't had a chance to visit their museum yet. I have been meaning to for a long time. I just have never had a chance to really do it yet.

I just put Michael Chabon's book Maps And Legends: Essays On Reading And Writing Along the Borderlands . This book is by the author of The Yiddish Policemen's Union.

I finished reading David Drake When The Tide Rises. I am working on the review of the book. I really enjoy reading his books.

I am reading, Robert Grave's and Alan Hodges, The Reader Over Your Shoulder right now. It seems to be a fairly complicated book on the english language. It is not that easy to follow, despite being well written. It is the kind of book which should be read slowly to understand it. There is a very interesting section on reading and writing things quickly. It very much reflects on what I am doing right now.

2 comments:

Francis Scudellari said...

I may need to pick up the Oliver book ... I could use a refresher. BTW, I'm a huge Seuss fan too :).

Stella said...

That's a cute poem :)

And I'm checking out that Graves book. It sounds good. Thanks for the recommendation.