Monday, April 11, 2011

Daily Thoughts 4/11/2011 (Swann Gallery, The Alchemist, Getting More)

"Die Vorlesung", Öl auf Holz, signiert, datiert: 1879, rückseitig alte Londoner und Münchner Klebezettel, 38 x 30 cm
Daily Thoughts 4/11/2011

I took some time off from writing here for a few days.  I have a stack of six books to review in the living room.  It was a short breather. 

I wrote a summary of my experience of the visit to the Swann Gallery with the New York Library Club on April 6, 2011.  It is a work in progress.  It is up the New York Librarians Meetup blog. http://nylibrariansmeetup.blogspot.com/2011/04/meetup-at-swann-gallery-with-new-york.html

This morning, I checked the displays, updated the library Twitter account, and entered some more surveys for the library.  It has been a quiet, steady day.  The book, The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi came in for me to read.  It is a novella.

I also took a few minutes to refill the book sale and pick out graphic novels to show for the Graphic Novels club on Wednesday.  We are not ordering anything new so it has slowed down a little bit.

We are working on the slide show gallery of the library from the Local History Room.  It is taking shape.

On the way home, I finished reading The Alchemist by Paolo Bacigalupi.  It was an excellent novella. But, then all his works have won prizes.  I also started reading Getting More How To Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World by Stuart Diamond.  It takes a psychological approach focused on peoples emotions and real world actions.

Web Bits

A Rare Look at the Vatican Library.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/08/60minutes/main20052140.shtml
I watched this at the laundromat last night. It was a 60 Minutes episode.


South Korea to Open 180 Libraries, UK to Cut 400
http://www.suite101.com/content/180-new-libraries-to-open-in-south-korea-a338706
You sometimes wonder where the priorities are.

No comments: