Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Daily Thoughts 4/12/2011 (Getting More, Social Media)

For greater knowledge on more subjects use your library more often.  Poster showing a mortarboard and a pair of glasses superimposed over a globe, promoting use of libraries. Date Created/Published: Chicago : Illinois WPA Art Project, [between 1936 and 1941]

Daily Thoughts 4/12/2011

This morning, I read a little more of Getting More on the train to work.  Today has been a steady day.  I checked some items for discard, updated the Twitter account, and checked the displays.  I also put in my program schedule for May and June.

Our new BWI (Book Wholesalers Inc.)  representative came by for a visit and I gave a tour of the library and explained our ordering process.  They are supposed to have a list of grants available to libraries on their website.  They also said they were visiting Queens Library and would provide us some information on their gifts program.

Hopefully, tomorrow we should have the image gallery from the Local History Room ready.  The slideshow looks quite nice.

I updated the current events display and checked on the gifts.  Things are caught up right now for me.

On the way home, I read some more of Getting More How to Negotiate to Achieve Your Goals in the Real World.  There was one comment that I especially liked. The author cites Dr. Seuss Green Eggs and Ham as an excellent book on persistence, possibly the best one written.  The book also describes how to focus on goals and people, not facts and statistics.  A lot of decisions are not rational.

I am thinking I amight do an informal session on social media at the library. A lot of patrons come in to use Facebook and Linked In on the library computers.

No comments: