Monday, April 18, 2011

Daily Thoughts 4/18/2011 (The Desert of Souls)

Simon Luttichuys, Still Life with a Skull, 1635–1640, Oil on canvas, Gdañsk, National Museum

Daily Thoughts 4/18/2011

I am on vacation today.  I spent most of the day reading and relaxing.  Right now, I am reading The Desert of Souls by Howard Andrew Jones.  It is a fantasy novel set in the caliphates..  There are references to the marsh arabs, the caliphs, the lost of city of Ubar, and the Magian sect.  So far, it is entertaining.

This evening, I finished reading The Desert of Souls.  The author, Howard Andrew Jones makes reference to two authors being his biggest influence, Robert E. Howard and Howard Lamb.  Howard Lamb looks interesting.  He wrote a number of biographies including ones on Genghis Khan and Tamerlane.  He also wrote quite a bit of historical fiction.  I think I may read some of his work.

No comments: