Friday, May 24, 2013

Daily Thoughts 05/24/2013

Chikanobu Yoshu, Joys of Reading, 1887

Daily Thoughts 05/24/2013

This morning, I read some more of Big Data.  The authors use a word called datafication to describe the process of turning all kinds of information into data which can be used for algorithms and analysis.  It is an interesting new word.

This morning, I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library.  I also checked the displays and did a little more checking in the 900s.  I am going to be off for a few days next week to go to Book Expo America and the Day of Dialog which should be very interesting.  I generated an exhibitor list of booths which I would like to visit to look at materials for.

We had a meeting today where we discussed the cybercorner and the computer lab.  We also spent a little time discussing ebooks.  I had to make some arrangements for this while I am gone.  I spent a little time reading Publishers Weekly.   I am looking forward to Jaron Lanier's new book, Who Owns the Future as well as George Orwell: A Life in Letters.

I checked out the book, The Science of Consequences How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World by Susan M. Schneider.

On the way home, I read some more of Big Data.  The book is writing about the value of data.  What it reminds me is that people are becoming units of data and that everything about you from your shoe size to how fast your heart beats has value to some company somewhere and because of this, there is constant monitoring by corporations.  It also reminds me that we are also government statistics constantly being tallied in some report somewhere.

Web Bits

Why Social Media Isn't Working for Your Library
http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2013/05/why-social-media-isnt-working-for-your-library/

No comments: