Friday, May 15, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/15/2015

Laloue TS 08.jpg

"Les Bouquinistes", photograph of original watercolor by Eugène Galien-Laloue (purchased by myself from Cosmopolitan Fine Art Gallery, La Jolla, CA USA.) Dated circa 1908

Daily Thoughts 05/15/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

I am reading Hip Hop Family Tree, Volume 2 by Ed Piskor which is an oversize graphic novel.  I am not so much interested in the music, but some of the connections.  There are stories about Deborah Harry, Russell Simmons, Betty Shabazz, and Jean-Michel Basquiat in addition to hip hop artists like Grandmaster Flash, Mellie Mel, and other.  In addition, there are bits on street art and graffiti which are attention getting.  The art in the graphic novel is right out of the 1980s comic book style.  It is great stuff.


CBLDF Connects Classrooms and Libraries with Comics Creators!
http://cbldf.org/resources/comics-connector/
There are a few artists who I recognize.

I did some more work with computer books.  A colleague and I also put in an order for e-books today.

I am brainstorming about different ways to work with the collection.

We are also working on a small crafts grant.

I finished reading Hip Hop Family Tree Volume 2 on the way home.  It helped me learn a bit more about popular culture in a different way.

I also read a little bit more of BiblioTECH.  I am reading about the library as a collaborative platform, a place to share ideas both in the physical world and digitally.

Web Bits

David McCullough Praises Libraries
http://www.adweek.com/galleycat/david-mccullough-praises-libraries/103326

 Inflatable Space

Venus Plane Pushed for Next NASA Next Frontiers Mission
http://www.space.com/29379-venus-plane-next-frontiers-mission.html
An inflatable plane something new...

No comments: