Friday, May 1, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/01/2015

Portrait of Josep Cardona, Pablo Picasso, 1899

Daily Thoughts 05/01/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

Last night on the way home from work, I read some more of Americanah.  One of the interesting things about this novel is that we get a Nigerian perspective on American race relations from the perspective of an educated black immigrant.  I like how Chimamanda Ngoze Adichie describe Ifemelu's visits to her college library.

A patron suggested that I look at the Freegal movie service.
http://www.libraryideas.com/movies.html

I checked the displays and the gift books this morning.  May is National Mental Health Month or if you would like a less stigmatized description, May is Emotional Wellness Month.  I put out some displays of books on psychology and psychiatry including positive mental health-- happiness, relaxation, resilience, success, and similar subjects.

I also spent some time reading the New York Review of Books.

A poster came for The Hidden History of America At War: Untold Tales from Yorktown to Fallujah by Kenneth Davis.  Kenneth Davis will be at the library on June 18th from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The 2015 Edgar Winners for mystery.
http://www.theedgars.com/2015EdgarsWinners.pdf

I put in the submission for the grant: Latino Americans 500 Years of History.  It should be interesting.  I spent a lot of time with my colleagues working on this this week.  I hope we get it.

The book, The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu which is science fiction has come in for me to read.

Web Bits


ALA Welcomes White House's ConnectED Library  Challenge

May is Get Caught Reading Month

ALA to testify in Support of Library Funding at US House LHHS Hearing

No comments: