Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/20/2015

The New York Daily News - Alphonse Mucha

New York Daily News, Alphonse Mucha, 1904

Daily Thoughts 05/20/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.


On the way to work, I read some of Coal Wars.  The author is describing the conflict between coal production, climate change, and environmental pollution.  He is focusing on the present.


I checked the gift books and the displays.  I also did some work with the psychology books.  I am finding that we have to purge some records for items that are missing.


The book, Elon Musk Tesla, Space X, and the Quest for A Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance has come in for me to read.


I spent some time looking through the Kirkus Reviews BEA 2015 guide https://www.kirkusreviews.com/bea/.  I also printed up the itinerary of exhibitors I plan to visit.

I read the latest copy of the New York Review of Books.


I looked through some copies of Booklist and Publishers Weekly.  I put the book, Evening's Empires by Paul J. McAuley on hold which is science fiction.
We had a meeting discussing the promotional items for the summer reading program which includes a tote bag and a pen.

There is a Beginning Microsoft Access class from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the computer lab today.

On the way home, I read some of Elon Musk.  The book reads like it draws directly from Ashlee Vance interviewing Elon Musk.  Even the negative things about Elon Musk like his overwhelming drive, his willingness to push his employees to near the breaking point, his divorce, his use of strong language have a positive spin to them.  I also like the future orientation, the seeming mix of science fiction with engineering and a positive vision of a hopeful future.  It is nice to read about the pictures of a terraformed Mars in the Space X offices.  The current ventures of Elon Musk, Tesla Motors, Space X, and Solar City have a positive future orientation.

I watched the dvd, Stress Portrait of a Killer from National Geographic.  It reminded me a little bit of the show Brain Games done by National Geographic.

Web Bits


Digital Journalism How Good Is It?

Hoopla Lets You Digitally Borrow Almost Anything from Your Library
We are getting this in July.  I like the expansion to include comics and e-books.


No comments: