Friday, May 29, 2015

Daily Thoughts 05/29/2015

File:Still Life with Bible - My Dream.jpg
Still Life With Bible-- My Dream, Vincent Van Gogh, April 1885

Daily Thoughts 05/29/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook this morning.

At Book Expo America, there were far more books that I wanted to read personally than when I went to previous conventions.  I have a fairly large stack of signed material which I plan to read.

This morning, I am hoping to get a copy of The Water Knife signed by Paolo Bacigalupi.  I will revisit some of the exhibitors and go to a few of the final panels.

I got to the conference at 9:00 a.m. and went to get The Water Knife signed and was the first person in line for the signing.  It went rather nicely.  One of the people there said that Paolo Bacigalupi was also signing a revised version of The Windup Girl at 3:00 p.m..  I checked Paolo Bacigalupi's blog and there is a description of new edition with two added short stories.  http://windupstories.com/2015/05/06/the-windup-girl-gets-a-new-look/

I walked around some more and looked at booths.  My feet are tired and it is 12:00 p.m.  I stopped by Nolo and looked at some of their legal self help books.  NBM has new guide to graphic novels which came out in April of 2015 called 101 Outstanding Graphic Novels by Steven Weiner.  Harvard University Press is releasing a book by Thomas Piketty called The Economics of Inequality in August of 2015.  I had a chance to look at the book, The Invaders: How Humans and Their Dogs Drove Neanderthals to Extinction by Pat Shipman. There are some recent articles about how dogs may have been domesticated much earlier than originally thought. Ancient Wolf Genome Pushes back the Dawn of the Dog.  http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-wolf-genome-pushes-back-dawn-of-the-dog-1.17607

I picked up a travel guide, The Michelin Guide to New York City 2015.

I saw most of the exhibitors that I wanted to see.  Then I spent some time resting my feet in the VIP lounge and the librarians lounge.  I drank some coffee and ate some popcorn.

I went to part of the Annual Librarians Book Buzz Part II.  It is where a select set of publishers announce what they thing will be the most important books during the rest of the year.  There were handouts from Consortium Books, Workbooks, Sourcebooks, HarperCollins Publishers which has a marketing department aptly called Library Love Fest, Sterling Adult New Titles, and MacMillan Library Marketing, and one other publisher who they ran out of handouts for each.  Each handout lists eight or more adult popular titles.  A few of the titles looked interesting like Made To Kill by Adam Christopher, a noir story with robots, The Art of Memoir by Mary Karr, Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter, Pixel Crochet, House of Thieves by Charles Belfour, and And West is West by Ron Childress.

I left a little early because there was a drawing for a Kindle HD and an iPad in the VIP lounge. I did not win anything.  When I was wandering, I dropped my card into several different fishbowls for drawings of different things.  Maybe, when I get back to work, some additional things will be sent to me.

The final activity was the Librarian Shout and Share where librarians many of them affiliated with Library Journal showed their picks for the show.  Each librarian would show a stack of review copies that they liked from the show.  Many of them were a bit surprising.  A few were items that I had purchased for my library like Black Man in a White Coat A Doctor's Reflections on Race and Medicine  by Damon Tweedy.  Others like Jim Butcher, The Aeronauts Windlass and The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse: An Extraordinary Edwardian Case of Deception and Intrigue by Piu Marie Eatwell, My History: A Memoir of Growing Up by Antonia Fraser, and The Girl in the Spider's Web: A Lisbeth Salander novel, Continuing Stieg Larsson's Millenium Series by David Lagercrantz sounded intriguing.

The Shout and Share is written up in Library Journal. It is different being there though.  The feeling is different.

I read some more of CRACK99 on the way home.  David Locke Hall is describing the capture of an illegal Iranian arms dealer who is trying to buy weapons technology.

I have piles of books to read as well as to bring to the library around my house.  I still have to sort through things.

Web Bits



Public Library of 10,000 Vinyl Records Opens in South Korea

BEA 2015: Early Favorites for Young Readers

BEA 2015: For E-books in Libraries Obstacles Remain

Dear Librarian: New York Public Library's Quirkiest Inquiries

No comments: