Thursday, April 30, 2015

Daily Thoughts 04/30/2015

Charles Emmanuel Biset - Still life with Books, a Letter and a Tulip.jpg
Still Life with Books, a Letter, and a Tulip, Charles Emmanuel Biset, Between 1648 and 1693.

Daily Thoughts 04/30/2015


I am enjoying reading Americanah A Novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie.  Part of the novel is set in Nigeria.  It is a novel about family.  I rather like some of the descriptions in the novel of activities like hair braiding, attending parties at big men's compounds, and observations about church life in Nigeria.  These are different enough to hold my attention.  I am reading it for our book club on May 21, 2015 from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.

I checked the displays and the book sale this morning.

I also did a little more work with flyers.

Today is the last day of the Mount Vernon Public Library Survey.  So far, 526 people have taken the survey.  People are interested in it.

I spent some time reading reviews from Publishers Weekly and Booklist today.  I also spent a little time using Directors Station to get some statistics from SIRSI Dynix about the collection.  I still have to finish reading a copy of Forecast from Baker and Taylor.

I put the book Patience and Fortitude Power, Real Estate, and the Fight to Save a Public Library by Sherman Scott on hold.  Patience and Fortitude are the two lions which sit in front of the 42nd street library in Manhattan.

I spent some time working on ordering material for next week.

Web Bits

When The President Visits Your Library

Summer Reading in the Digital Age

The World Without Libraries A Speculation

Realizing the Dream of Public Libraries

No comments: