Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Daily Thoughts 04/01/2015

Aristotle with a Bust of Homer, Rembrandt, 1653
Daily Thoughts 04/01/2015

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.

An article in the Mount Vernon Daily Voice on the Mount Vernon Public Library Survey.
http://mountvernon.dailyvoice.com/neighbors/mount-vernon-public-library-conducts-patron-survey

I spent some time working on the oversize books today.  I also checked the displays and the gift books.  There is a display with some of Audre Lord's books in it.  The poet, Audre Lord, worked at the Mount Vernon Public Library from 1961-1963.  April is national poetry month.

I  sent some flyers about the survey to a few places around Mount Vernon.  I also spent some time updating the email list for Mailchimp.

I read two copies of Publishers Weekly today.

There is a class on android tablets today in the computer lab from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

I started reading To Explain the World The Discovery of Modern Science by Steven Weinberg.  This is a history of the development of the process of science.  It starts with the Greeks focusing on Plato, Aristotle, and Archimedes.  I learned that the Library of Alexandria was not a standard alone building.  It was part of the palace of Alexandria which included a very large museum called The Museum of Alexandria which the library was part of.

I placed a hold on the book, The Orbital Perspective by Ron Garan, Jr. 

Best Space Books and Sci-Fi: A Space.com Reading List
http://www.space.com/28973-best-space-books.html

Web Bits

Dear Reader Librarians Should Never Forget You

No comments: