Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Daily Thoughts 11/25/2015

At the Writing Desk - Childe Hassam
At The Writing Desk, Childe Hassam, 1910

Daily Thoughts 11/25/2015

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook today.

The Mount Vernon Public Library Friends have a new Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/mountvernonpubliclibraryfriends/?fref=ts

I read some more of Creating a Learning Society today at the laundromat.  I am reading about how intellectual property laws both help and hinder learning.  There is some comparison of open source strategies for technology versus patent strategies.  I find open source to be an interesting idea.

I also read a little more of Welcome to Night Vale.  I am enjoying the slightly paranoid, surreal humor in the setting.

I read through my various places for news and did not find much.  Usually the density of news in my professions slows down as it gets closer to holidays.

Happy thanksgiving.  Be thankful for friends, family, and books.  I was off from the library today.

I placed a hold on the book, Smarter Than You Think: How Technology Is Changing Our Minds for the Better by Clive Thompson.  This book contains the famous centaur argument for chess.
Excerpt Rise of the Centaurs.
http://smarterthanyouthink.net/excerpt/

There is another metaphor which goes with the centaur.  This article very much captures the idea of "running with the machine."  Where to succeed you have to very quickly adapt and learn to work with technology.

NYC, Seattle Battle for Title of Fastest Library Book Sorters
http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2015/11/11/nyc--seattle-battle-for-title-of-fastest-library-book-sorters.html

No comments: