Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Daily Thoughts 02/02/2016


Patent Office, Shelving, 1865  from the New York Public Library Digital Gallery

Daily Thoughts 02/02/2016

I checked the Twitter and Facebook for the library this morning.  I spent some time discussing Facebook with a person who works for me in the computer lab.

I rested on the way to work.

I checked the gift books and the displays.  The latest copy of Bookpages came in for me to read.  I also have copy of the New York Times Book Review to read.  Also, the book, Weeding Library Collections, Library Weeding Methods by Stanley J. Slote came in for me to read.

I spent some time discussing scheduling today.

This is a list of celebration weeks and promotional library events from ALA.
http://www.ala.org/conferencesevents/celebrationweeks

Programming Librarian Calendar
http://www.programminglibrarian.org/node/338


 

There is a Fundamentals of Computers Class today and a Beginning Microsoft Word class in the computer lab.

I am looking at the book, Drawing Blood by Molly Crabapple.  I checked it out from the library.  It looks very bohemian and risque.  I have a can of diet coke and I need to clean up my desk.  Sometimes life seems so absolutely ordinary.  I put my hat on so I can be ready to go in a few minutes.

 I read some more of On Her Own Ground.  It is interesting that Madam C.J. Walker adopted a young woman, Mae Walker,  because she had beautiful hair.  I rather liked the descriptions of Madam C.J. Walker visiting Haiti and Jamaica to sell her hair products.

I also read some more of The Most Good You Can Do.  Peter Singer makes an argument that you should earn as much money as you can so you can give more money away.  He gives several examples of people entering the finance and banking industry so they can give away their money.



Web Bits


How One Company Designed The Booksehlves That Made America's Biggest Libraries Possible

Smithsonian Coloring Pages

Roundup Links To A Growing List of Library Coloring Books As Color Our Collections Week Begins

Fine for Overdue Library Books Owed By George Washington is Now $300,000

A Handy Sign That a Local Government Is Shirking Its Public Duty: Privatizing the Library

 

No comments: