Sunday, February 14, 2016

Daily Thoughts 02/14/2016

File:Have a Heart cover 1917.jpg
Sheet music cover for the 1917 musical Have a Heart., Book and Music By Guy Bolton and P.G. Wodehouse, Music by Jerome Kern


Daily Thoughts 02/14/2016

Happy Valentines Day.  It is a good day for books and chocolate.

I checked the library Twitter and Facebook.

I read some of The Rising by Ian Tregellis.  This is an exciting story with plenty of action.  It takes the viewpoint of several different characters.  The story is about a war between the French and the Dutch in an alternate fantasy history.  The Dutch have mastered the production of mechanical men or clackers who they control with alchemical geas.  Part of this story is about enslaving intelligent machines.  The French have mastered chemistry and use it in their endless war against the Dutch who have conquered most of the world.  The conflict plays out in both a moral and action oriented way.  It is quite enjoyable to read.

I also read some more of Better Living Through Criticism.  I am reading about individual aesthetics.  Aesthetics recently became of interest to me because of the concept of transcendent or absolute beauty.  I like the philosophical tone of the chapter I am reading.  There is a bit on Immanuel Kant's aesthetics.

I checked the purchase alerts tonight.

Web Bits

Local Bookstores Add Mystery to Reading with Blind Date With a Book
http://www.boston.com/news/2016/02/13/local-bookstores-add-mystery-reading-with-blind-date-with-book/KFWk5c5UhqO0CZZwTVZ8hJ/story.html

No comments: