Saturday, June 23, 2012

Daily Thoughts 06/23/2012

Cover of "Edison's Conquest of Mars", from 1898. Illustration by G. Y. Kauffman.  I like the picture because it combines two things which I find entertaining, science fiction and art nouveau.

Daily Thoughts 06/23/2012

Last night, I stayed up late and read The Age of Zeus by James Lovegrove.  It is an alternate history with super science, genetically engineered gods, and high technology battlesuits.  There is a fight for the control of the planet with echoes of Greek mythology.  The titans are fighting for freedom while the gods seek control of the world.  It was fun to read.  There was an earlier novel with a similar theme, The Age of Ra by James Lovegrove.  I also liked this book as well.  It is nice to have some time off.

I spent a little bit of time updating my bookcalendar twitter account.

I read some more of The $100 Startup this afternoon.  The book is more about how to create a business that fits your lifestyle that will support you than about how to generate a huge amount of money.  Some examples he uses are the 140 word mission statement, the 1 page business plan, and very basic ideas about how to convince people to buy your first product.  The example businesses are things like coffee shops, designer maps, yoga classes, and wedding photography.  There is a several page appendix which lists the businesses he uses as examples  A lot of the ideas are how to generate income from sweat equity more than spending lots money on advertising, marketing, or infrastructure.

I have wanted to go to the NYC Data Business Meetup for a while.  I was hoping to learn a little bit more about it.  The next one is at Bloomberg LP on Wednesday, June 27, 2012 at 6:00 p.m. The focus is on big data. http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Data-Business-Meetup/events/69467412/

I spent some more time on Lynda.com and Codecademy learning about Javascript.  Hopefully, with my new computer, I will also get a chance to download Wordpress.org and try it out as well.  I have been planning on this for a while.  I got the printer working this afternoon.

Web Bits

Libraries Patrons and Ebooks
http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012/06/22/libraries-patrons-and-e-books/

No comments: