Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2013

Bookbinder Coat of Arms
This file depicts the coat of arms of a German Korperschaft des offentlichten
 Rechts (corporation governed by public law). According to § 5 Abs. 1 of the German Copyright Law, Official Works are public domain.

Daily Thoughts 01/09/2013

On the way to work, I read some more of Management Rewired.  Charles S. Jacobs is making an argument against scientific management and top down hierarchical organization based on human behavior.  He is arguing that participative management and group based decision making are more in line with how people think.  Part of his explanation is the idea that military style organization and top down management has run its historical course.

I checked my social media accounts this morning including Twitter and Facebook.  I also checked the new books and the displays.  There is a large order of urban fiction books which is being processed.

While reading Shelf Awareness I came across the book, Mastermind: How to Think Like Sherlock Holmes by Maria Konnikova.  It looked interesting.

I did a walk around of the library shelves spot checking for stray books and loose material.  I also took a few minutes to look at library fliers so I could post some events on Facebook.  I also did a quick walk around in the mezzanine checking for loose books and stray items.  I also did a bit of inventory in the mezzanine 800s.

I got a free VIP pass to Book Expo America.  It was a pleasant surprise in my email.  I always like going there.  It is a lot of fun looking at all the new books and giveaways.  The conference is on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 to June 1, 2013.

I am looking at The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest.  It is Steampunk set in Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century setting which is a zombie infested Seattle.  I checked this book out.  I also checked out The Visioneers by W. Patrick McCray.  It should be interesting.

I read some more of Management Rewired on the way home.  One of the authors arguments is that too much thinking about the immediate bottom line leads to mistakes in long term strategy.  He describes how companies fail financially by not spreading growth over several years, overextending themselves, or creating a consistent story about how a company will succeed over the long term.   Part of this description of stories includes allusions to the classics like the Iliad. 


Web Bits

Check These Out at the Library: Blacksmith, Bowling, Butchering
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324677204578187901423347828.html?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

Publishing Projects Raised $15 Million Dollars on Kickstarter Last Year
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/publishing-projects-raised-15-million-on-kickstarter-last-year_b63489

No comments: