Sunday, January 27, 2013

Daily Thoughts 01/27/2013

An illustration from Jules Verne's novel "A Floating City" (1869) drawn by Jules Férat.

Daily Thoughts 01/27/2013

This morning, I checked the various social media accounts I have.  I also read some more of Wait The Art and Science of Delay.  There is a bit on the irrationality of human decision making with some descriptions of behavioral economics.  People tend not to do what is rational.  I rather like that Frank Portnoy describes how there is a link between procrastination and overindulgence.

I relaxed mostly today and did a little shopping.  I finished reading Wait The Art and Science of Delay.  Frank Partnoy reminds us to slow down and use longer term thinking.  He also describes how inventing new things takes time, often decades before people are ready for them.


Web Bits

Literary History as Seen Through the Big Data Lens
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/27/technology/literary-history-seen-through-big-datas-lens.html?ref=technology&_r=1&
I'd rather not have my literary taste and history determined by an algorithm.

The Best Fictional Libraries in Pop Culture
http://www.flavorwire.com/366500/the-best-fictional-libraries-in-pop-culture
Borges is not exactly pop culture.

No comments: