Friday, January 18, 2013

Daily Thoughts 01/18/2013

Norman Garstin, A Woman Reading a Newspaper, 1891

Daily Thoughts 01/18/2013

I am up early reading the library news.  The library is open today.  I spent some time looking at Twitter and Facebook this morning for the library.  On the way to work, I read a little more of The Case for Mars.  There is a lot of politics in how space programs are chosen.  A lot of it is about money.  I also read some more of Librarians as Community Partners.  I am reading about bilingual senior programs.

I checked the gift books and displays this morning.  We are having a training in Baker and Taylor Titlesource 3.  The training was informative.  The staff had the training in the computer lab.  I learned how the Titlesource 3 system worked for basic ordering.  There were a number of review sources which we got access to which we did not have before like Video Librarian and Audiofile Reviews.

I read the latest copy of Publishers Weekly.  I also checked out two books, The Midnight Palace by Carlos Ruiz Zafon which is a young adult title, and The Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge Which is science fiction.

On the way home, I read some more of The Case for Mars.  Robert Zubrin is writing about the hazards of space; background radiation, solar flares, confined spaces, and zero gravity.  I also read some more of Libraries As Community Partners.  It reminded me that September is National Library Card Sign Up Month which is a good time to ask people to sign up for library cards.

Web Bits

Becoming a Community Centric Content Publisher
http://toc.oreilly.com/2013/01/becoming-a-community-centric-content-publisher.html
This is a reminder that if you have an online presence, it is important to build a community or social network around it.

Barnes and Noble, The Last Big Bookseller Standing: But for How Long?  Knowledge@Wharton
http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/article.cfm?articleid=3167&goback=%2Egmp_2173290%2Egde_2173290_member_205480609


No Textbooks in NYC Schools: Coming Soon?
http://shine.yahoo.com/financially-fit/no-textbooks-nyc-schools-coming-soon-192700016.html?goback=%2Egmp_2655023%2Egde_2655023_member_205716261

As Tablets Supplant Ereaders New Challenges Arise for Publishers.
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2013/01/ebooks/as-tablets-supplant-ereaders-new-challenges-arise-for-publishers/

No comments: